Saturday, January 10, 2009

Radiator Hose Clamps...

Today's topic is radiator hose clamps. Until performing a little research today, the only radiator clamps on the market seemed to be either the very cheap and ineffective worm screw type:
the slightly more effective t-clamp type:
0r the very expensive and over-engineered (calm down...I mean over-engineered for standard muscle car applications) Wiggins "clam" style clamps:
During the build, I initially decided upon stainless steel t-clamps. However, the clamp on the upper radiator hose developed a very small "hissing" leak. Not enough to spew coolant onto the floor, but enough to cause a small drip and major annoyance. No amount of tightening will fix the problem. So, I began searching for an alternative to my only other option-a Wiggins clamp. I found these Gates Powergrip heat sensitive thermoplastic clamps, which are installed using a standard heat gun:

Because the entire clamp shrinks, they are said to provide a dynamic seal, as opposed to the uneven seal prone to binding that traditional clamps offer. Moreover, when the engine reaches operating temperature, it fortifies the clamp's seal. I have decided to give them a try. I will add another post after the installation is complete, letting you know whether they are a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down."

No comments:

Post a Comment